My Beamish Brood

My Beamish Brood

Friday, April 18, 2014

Take Up Your Cross

Every Lent, the boys literally take up their cross- one that Paul built for them out of two logs and a couple of nails- and they take to the backyard to play Stations of the Cross. Is it irreverent to "play" the Stations? I'm not sure. But they know all 14 stations and act them out in order, so I have to assume there is some spiritual benefit there.

Last week, on one of those gorgeous spring days (I miss spring already), I was heading out to a friend's house. The boys were outside acting out the Stations, and when I came out the door I was suddenly face-to-face with this scene: Max in nothing but his underwear hauling a wooden cross, being followed around the yard by his little brother who was waving a stick at him and yelling. I was immediately struck with terror at the thought of any of our neighbors looking out the window at that moment. What would they think of us?? "Who are those crazies, and what kind of sick punishment is that for their poor son?"

I called to Max and asked him to put his jeans back on. "But Mom! The tenth station! Jesus is stripped of his garments!!" After some discussion, we agreed that shirt off in the backyard is ok. But we can't exactly bare it all out here... especially if your brother is chasing you with a stick. So he reluctantly put his pants back on and I left. End scene.

That evening I got home and was chatting with Paul (who had been upstairs paying bills while all this went on earlier). He told me that after I left, he had come downstairs and looked outside to see- you guessed it- Max in nothing but his underwear hauling a wooden cross, being followed around the yard by his stick-wielding brother. Apparently as soon as I left, the boys decided that authenticity beats out obedience. This event is officially the only thing that makes me appreciate the return of cold weather. Not even Max will strip down to nothing when it's 35 degrees outside.

I wish you all a blessed and prayerful Good Friday! I can assure you we will be out in the backyard today acting out the Stations of the Cross for the last time. Hopefully fully clothed.


2 comments:

  1. This made me laugh out loud while I was reading it. What dear, dear, hilarious children you have! <3 love them!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Monica, I can laugh about it now! And I haven't gotten any house calls from the authorities, so I don't think the neighbors saw anything...

    ReplyDelete