My Beamish Brood

My Beamish Brood

Friday, May 27, 2016

Screen Free Summer


With the nice weather upon us, we have all but eliminated screen time in favor of outdoor exploration. Some of my kids have had an easier time of this than others, but after a few weeks of "detox", the questioning has nearly ceased! I didn't realize it at the time, but my children's brains had become quite obsessed with games, even though they only got to play a short amount per day. I had felt good about myself because I compared our screen rules with the nation's averages (which are appalling, by the way), but it took cutting out games completely to notice how much even a little screen time negatively affects my kids. I know it is different for every family, but in our house all imaginative play had begun to revolve around Minecraft... all dinner table conversation was about Minecraft... it was driving me crazy! Each day they had a list to complete, including chores and schoolwork, and if they finished the list they could play for 15 minutes. This method worked as a way to get their lists checked off, but I was losing my interesting, interested, creative children. They only cared to complete their tasks as quickly as possible to get around to game time.

During our Easter Detox, I very quickly noticed their creativity returning. One day, of their own volition, they packed up homemade detective kits into their backpacks and went to solve mysteries in the backyard. Another day, they got out a random assortment of kitchen utensils and pantry items to create their own chemistry experiments. They began to build forts again in our basement. They got very interested in Rube Goldberg and simple machines, they can't wait to check on our garden each day, and overall they seem like happier kids. They still are allowed some screen time on some rainy days, but it has averaged out to only once every couple of weeks. I have begun to enjoy conversations with my kids again! And even better, they are starting to hold me accountable as well! If Lucian catches me checking Facebook on my phone, he will point out, "Mom, you know screens aren't good for your brain."

To clarify, we still use screens to watch educational videos, to look up information, and even to watch an occasional television episode. But there was something different about playing games that seemed to change the way my kids' brains were working.  And I discovered that there is some science behind my observation.

Like I said, I know screens affect each family- and each child- very differently. But in our home, we have discovered our happy medium for screen time, and it is next to nothing.




1 comment: