My Beamish Brood

My Beamish Brood

Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Early Bird

I. Love. Sleep. Getting out of bed in the morning is the toughest thing that I do every day. When Audrey was about six weeks old, I tried to give up coffee because I thought it might help her sleep better, but found that I was literally unable to function without my morning cup of coffee. Seeing as my two caffeine-free weeks were actually her most sleepless nights to-date, I decided to re-evaluate the situation. I came up with a plan that was unlike anything I've ever tried before. I decided to get out of bed before the kids woke up each morning! I resumed my morning coffee and made a decision to be up and ready before Lucian. 

That moment when Paul wakes me up before he leaves for work has become the most difficult moment of the day, because I can no longer roll over for another half-hour until I hear Lucian's "Mommmmmeeeee... me want buppist..." (i.e. breakfast). I force myself out of bed and into the shower, then have my morning coffee and breakfast by myself! I didn't realize how different my days would be if I had a few quiet moments before being bombarded by children with needs. As a mother of three, my days mainly consist of fulfilling needs, and I know now that what I need- as an unashamed introvert- is a cup of coffee by myself every morning. It is unbelievable the different trajectory our days take solely based on whether I get up when I planned to. A few recent mornings, I gave in to the urge to roll over and doze off again, and I felt like I was playing catch-up all day.

Today has been a special treat; as I write this at 8:25, all three children are still sound asleep! Unbelievably, I have had an hour-and-a-half of alone time already. I think I hear some movement in the next room... but I feel ready to take on the day! Maybe... just maybe... I could learn to be a morning person.

Morning people.

Not a morning person.

No comments:

Post a Comment