My Beamish Brood

My Beamish Brood

Saturday, May 4, 2013

Lucianese, part three

My oh my, he's three years old and he is still going strong on the one-liners. I'll do my best to write them phonetically, but there are some doozies! I'm not even going to make you guess them, because let's face it, you wouldn't stand a chance with half of them!

1. Offie - Lucian's pronunciation of his dear sister Audrey's name. "I yuv you, baby Offie!" is a common refrain, as is "NO, Offie! That's MINE!"

2. Didi duh-dee-um - Lucian's rendition of "Children's Museum". We have a pass to the Children's Museum in St. Paul, so we try to go as often as we can. When Lucian tells me he wants to go to the didi duh-dee-um, I stare at him blankly for several minutes before the lightbulb finally clicks on.

3. Roskeeta Bug Bug - The ever-popular Okee Dokee Brothers have a song about Rosita the Skeeta, and Lucian's version of the chorus sounds something like this: "Roskeeta a skeeta/ ay no skeeta fweeta/ but she's a nameeta/ Roskeeta Bug Bug!" (I'll let you guess the original lyrics!)

4. Paypus! - Each night during prayers, we say a litany of our family's patron saints. After each name, we all say "Pray for us!" Lucian is enthusiastic and energetic in his responses; I hope the saints can understand his language!

5. Das a bumma- He hears "That's a bummer" all the time, and like any child, he repeats what he hears. It's way cuter coming from him than from me.

6. You are ba-dem ba-det! - During Lent, the boys took up acting out the Stations of the Cross. Most often, Max plays Jesus and Lucian plays Pontius Pilate and the soldiers. I fill in as Mary, Veronica, Simon of Cyrene, the Women of Jerusalem, and I announce the stations. When I announce the first station, Jesus is Condemned to Death, Lucian/Pilate points a finger at Max/Jesus and shouts, "You are ba-dem ba-det!"

I don't know how much longer we will be able to enjoy these Lucianisms, because his language is getting clearer by the day! His mannerisms are much older than his age, so I am thankful he has a baby face and a baby voice... it makes it seem like he's not growing up quite as fast as he is.

1 comment:

  1. I knew a few of them! It will be very sad when all his fun words turn into normal speak. I still remember how he used to say milk. I hope he keeps Offie for a long time!!!

    ReplyDelete