My Beamish Brood

My Beamish Brood

Sunday, June 16, 2013

Messy

I crack myself up sometimes. As I set about cleaning and organizing a counter top in our kitchen that has gone untouched for at least a month, I unearthed this beauty:


In case you can't read it, that's a Real Simple magazine with the headline "Ingenious Organizing Systems to Clear the Clutter for Good". I received this magazine in the mail about a month ago and promptly lost it under a pile of clutter, including but not limited to: a duplo tree, a snack container of raisins and cheerios, an American flag (likely from last 4th of July), an empty tealight candle holder, a tube of sunscreen face lotion, a cardboard treasure chest, and various works of art, bits of paper and electronic cords.

I just had to laugh (to keep from crying...) at the irony. I invest in this beautiful, inspiring magazine that speaks right to everything I want to improve in my life, and it gets devoured by the exact thing it is supposed to help me eradicate. Yeesh. For some people it comes so naturally, keeping a clean house. For me, it is as if there is an invisible teenager leaving a wake of destruction in every room I am not currently occupying. I have intermittent bursts of energy and I whip around in a frenzy trying to keep up with my unwelcome guest, but the moment I turn my back, the paper is stacked to the ceiling again. The countertops are buried. The clothes are heaped in a jumbled mess and I don't know what's clean and what's dirty. 

For my own sanity, I decided that my messiness is slightly out if my control. I am cut from a different cloth than my über-organized peers, and that's ok. I have my strengths elsewhere. But I still need to be careful to not make too many excuses for myself... I have a house to keep up and I don't want to lose Audrey forever in a pile of unfolded laundry. You laugh, but it is ever a real danger for the small people in my house. Left unattended for too long, they may sink into the quicksand of my clutter. 

No comments:

Post a Comment