My Beamish Brood

My Beamish Brood

Monday, October 7, 2013

Time for School!

Max, Kindergarten (5 years old)
Lucian, Preschool (3 years old)
A month into the school year, and I'm finally getting around to posting about our experience so far! It was a crazy, exciting September, but things have finally settled down around here. Our school year started as soon as we got back from Ely, and we kicked it off with a pizza party and ice cream with Grandma and Grandpa Radecki and Uncle Ben. For the second year, the kids each received a book as a start-of-school gift... check out what we chose for Max (I'm a sucker for anything by Don and Audrey Wood), Lucian (Currently, his life's goal is to be a garbage man) and Audrey (Did I say I love Don and Audrey Wood?)

The morning after our pizza party, the kids woke to crowns and wrapped-up school supplies. It's amazing how exciting a package of washable markers is if it's wrapped in colorful paper! Then I unveiled our motto and patron saint for the year. After lots of thought and prayer, I decided on this for our motto:

"I want to do everything, even the smallest things, for the greater glory of God."

It is a quote by our patron saint of the year, Dominic Savio. He was a student of St. John Bosco, and he was well known for being compassionate, charitable, kind and virtuous even as a young schoolboy. What better example for our family as we begin our journey into the world of schooling? Max took a great interest in him right away, and I look forward to learning more about him as the year goes on.

So far, I love our school time together! It seems that our best days are the ones where we spend the entire morning at the kitchen table. Lucian comes and goes, Audrey is constantly underfoot unless she's napping, and Max is soaking up information like a sponge. I love teaching my children, but most of all I love learning with them!




1 comment:

  1. My, what cute kids you have! I can't wait until the time comes for me to pick your brain for all your awesome homeschooling ideas!

    ReplyDelete