My Beamish Brood

My Beamish Brood

Monday, March 17, 2014

Airport Oddysey


Last Wednesday, we unwittingly set out on an incredible journey, one I would have never planned. My mom was arriving home from a visit to the Philippines after meeting my cousin's fiance, and we wanted to greet her at the airport. I've made this trip several times to welcome Tony and family back from Vienna, so even though the MSP airport is huge and intimidating, I have developed a smooth, simple plan to get from parking to baggage claim with three kids in tow. No biggie.

But my confidence got shaken to the core on Wednesday. As I drove up to the airport, I began to see signs saying, "Long-term parking full. Use short term parking." It looked like I might be parking a bit farther from the entrance than usual, since more cars would be in short term parking. Again, no big deal. I know where I'm going.

Then the bombshell. Pulling closer to the ticket dispenser, I saw workers in yellow vests directing cars away from the parking ramp altogether. And another sign, this one reading, "Short term parking full. Park at Terminal Two." Those of you who are unfamiliar with the MSP airport might need a quick tour to help the complete absurdity of this situation to fully sink in.


This map is slightly outdated, but it gives you the right idea. See the "M" on the map above? That's where I was supposed to meet my mom. And see that "P" in the green square? That's where I usually park. A quick jaunt and an escalator ride away from baggage claim. Now look for the "P" next to the Humphrey Terminal: That's where cars were being routed on this glorious day. I panicked. I had no stroller. I have three kids, including a less-than-two year old. I have a sizeable baby bump and not much stamina. Thank goodness my brother was also meeting my mom at the airport; I don't know what I would have done otherwise.

I parked on the 8th floor of the Terminal 2 parking ramp and took the elevator down with the kids to meet Tony near the light rail station that would take us to Terminal 1. Up several escalators and down endless hallways, we arrived at a tram to bring us to the general vicinity of my normal parking area. A little more walking and an escalator, and we were finally there! My poor mom had no one to greet her when she got off the plane because we were busy commuting from the middle of nowhere to get to her.

While I was huffing and puffing, moaning and complaining, the boys were enjoying every second of it. They got to take a train! And moving walkways! And escalators! And a tram! It was glorious. And besides nearly losing feeling in my arms from hauling a little girl for miles, it really wasn't so bad. But however bad it got, it would have been worth it to see this reunion:



Welcome home, Grandma/Gammy! You were missed!

No comments:

Post a Comment