My Beamish Brood

My Beamish Brood

Monday, November 24, 2014

Pick a Little

Do you see those smiles? DO YOU SEE THOSE SMILES??
This fall we were able to celebrate my very favorite season of the year in my very favorite way... not once, but twice! Apple picking! I look forward to it all year round, and so do my kids. At the most random times throughout the year they will bring up our trip to the orchard, asking if we are making plans yet. Then at the first hint of fall, they turn it up a notch. If ever there is a year where we don't make it to the orchard I think they'll disown me. Heck, I'd disown myself!


To me, there is nothing quite as magical as strolling through the gnarled apple trees, eating our way from one end to the other. The fall weather makes me feel giddy, like I could just drift up and out of my skin. And the apples! The apples. There is something about an apple straight from the tree that puts it in a class by itself. Honestly, they are not always the most delicious; some varieties and some years are much better than others. But they are by far the best. Every one of them.


With all this in mind, you shouldn't be surprised that we took over 200 pictures during our two trips to the orchard. Deciding which ones to share with you here has been nothing short of devastating. Just imagine: for every beautiful photo you see here, there are thirty more that just barely missed the cut.

We went once with Maureen and Liam when they stopped through on their way back from visiting Kelley and Tim. We went on a Wednesday and we were nearly the only people in the entire place! Then we returned with my parents on a weekend; it was much busier, but there was face painting! Are your kids obsessed with face painting like mine? I don't know what it is... I could never stand the feeling of paint on my face. Aaaand... there was wood fire pizza. That made up for the crowd, hands down. Both trips were amazing. As I look out my window at the snow, I can't believe we're already through another fall and on our way into winter. But I know the questions will start soon. "Mom, when are we going apple picking?"

Grandma and the grandkids

My dad's apple artwork caught the attention of the tractor driver ("That's the best thing I've seen all year!")
 


Brothers. I love this.

Liam Doolittle chills with the goats

Grandma and Grandpa with the girls
Me and my sweetie sipping apple wine in the middle of a sunflower field... talk about poetic!








1 comment: