My Beamish Brood

My Beamish Brood

Saturday, May 13, 2017

A Kaleidoscope of Color


Last Wednesday, my mom and I both had a free day so we decided to take the kids to the Landscape Arboretum in Chanhassen. This was the kids' and my first visit, and we all fell in love! The tulips were blooming, the lilac garden smelled heavenly, and the weather was absolutely perfect. As we wandered the kitchen herb gardens, I imagined myself in Downton Abbey, and when we meandered past vine-covered trellises I told the kids I felt like Mary from the Secret Garden. It really was a magical place.

Not a posed photo op
This one either

Or this one!

One of the highlights of the day was a new installation of floral kaleidoscopes. They are exactly as amazing as they sound! We were able to look through kaleidoscopes into a rotating pot of flowers, each turn creating new and amazing color combinations.  They were scattered throughout the grounds, so each time we rounded a bend and saw one ahead, the kids would race to be the first to check out the new flowers.




We stayed for over four hours until finally the clouds began to drip on us and the kids started to realize they were a little tired. The weather could not have been timed better!... almost. We went inside for a treat and to buy a souvenir packet of seeds for each kid. But when we opened the door to walk to the car we realized that the sprinkling had turned to pouring! My wonderful mom went with the umbrella to pick up the car while we waited under an awning, then we all ran to the car and piled in, only a little soggy.

I can't wait to go back again, there is so much we didn't get to see! I think I have a new favorite Twin Cities attraction.




 

 
 







1 comment: