My Beamish Brood

My Beamish Brood

Saturday, May 13, 2017

The Race is On

Lucian has been looking forward to this day for a year. The Abria 5K. Our child who wakes up asking to bike, spends the whole afternoon playing soccer, and goes to bed saying he still has enough energy to play an entire hockey game was READY to run a 5K and he knew it! He got everyone else excited about it too, so amazingly we were in our car on the way to the race by 7:30 this morning! I honestly can't think of the last time our whole family left the house that early, especially since Audrey has decided to sleep in until 8:00 most mornings, but today they were up and at 'em! (Well, most of them were...)

Somebody looks a little tired
We got to the race location and picked up our t-shirts




"I can't wait to start running!"

"I wish I was still in bed."
 Then we met up with my mom who had graciously agreed to hang out with Edith and Blaise while the rest of us attempted the run/walk.



As the race got started, our energy was high! Paul took off with the fast runners, and the three big kids and I started at a slow jog while my mom pushed the double stroller for a bit before turning back to get a treat for Edith and wait for us at the finish line.

For the first half mile or so, everything was great! Then Audrey decided she was too tired to go on. She started to drag her feet, fall behind, and pick dandelions. I saw Lucian and Max getting farther and farther ahead, but they kept checking back to see where I was, so I wasn't worried.

Then Max slowed down to a crawl and started to tell me how tired he was! Less than a mile in, Lucian was going strong (nearly out of sight) but it seemed the rest of us didn't stand a chance! So Max and I had a little pep talk and he decided to give it his all and catch up with his brother, and he was off! That left me with Audrey, still wandering at a snail's pace. I realized that if we continued like this, I had no chance of catching up with the boys so I hitched her onto my back and gave her a ride.

We eventually caught up to the boys at the turnaround point and found that they had made friends with some very nice run/walkers and were doing just fine. The last half of the race was a straight path along the river, so I let Lucian take off and see how fast he could finish. Max kept pushing onward, chatting with his new friends and alternating between jogging and walking. Audrey tried to walk a few more times but inevitably fizzled out after a few yards, so I would hike her back onto my back and off we'd go again.

I saw Lucian meet up with Paul way off in the distance, and he turned back so they could finish the race together. Lucian made it in about 45 minutes! I can about imagine how fast he would have gone if we hadn't held him back at the beginning!

Doesn't he look like he's in his element?
Go, Max, Go!

Aaaand bringing up the rear...
Audrey and I crossed the finish line in just under an hour. Not exactly how I was envisioning the race, but we did it! Maybe next year Lucian and I can run it together.... but he'd probably leave me in the dust! After the race, we celebrated with ice cream, and we got to watch one of our babysitters win women's first place! (She even beat Daddy, which put her on a pedestal in Lucian's book)


I am so proud of all of the kids, and my husband! They worked hard and pushed through a tough race for a good cause. Next year, watch out!


No comments:

Post a Comment