My Beamish Brood

My Beamish Brood

Tuesday, July 19, 2016

What a Reunion


Our June felt a little like a last hurrah, a frenzy of activity before I got so huge that traveling became too much to handle! The month flew by, because our feet barely touched the ground. Our big trip for the summer came toward the end of June and started with a visit to Marshall for the Moorse Family Reunion. And what a reunion it was! Even though I barely knew the majority of relatives there (this was a reunion with all of my grandpa's siblings and their families), they sure put on a great day... and they thought of everything to keep our kids busy and entertained!



But first things first: We arrived on Friday in time for dinner, joining my parents and Tony and Catherine's family who had already arrived. We ate dinner at the good ol' Wooden Nickel, the place to be in Marshall, at least for the Moorses (fun fact: after our wedding rehearsal, nearly TEN YEARS AGO, the whole wedding party and family went there for drinks. I've got a soft spot for the Nickel, as well as a collection of plastic cups from that night). We swung by the park near Grandma and Grandpa's house on the way home to burn off some energy before bed, and then Tony and I drove the cars home while Paul and Catherine walked the kids across the park and over the Troll Bridge back home.


Saturday was the big day for the reunion, but we had lots to do before it began in the afternoon. Paul and my parents went out first thing in the morning for a best ball golf tournament, so the kids and the remaining adults decided to go check out the loader! I was so proud of Audrey this year- she still didn't go near the loader, but she didn't hide in the car away from the noise! She was out there cheering on her brothers and cousins... and Edith... who all eagerly climbed aboard and hauled rocks, and even knocked down a few trees! Grandpa claims it was intentional... I'm not so sure.


 Edith loved the loader

Audrey and Edith shared... or tried to share... the stroller to stay out of the sun
Following the loader visit, we stopped by a local coffee shop for some treats to beat the heat on a blisteringly hot day. We came home to await the arrival of the golfers, and then the boys all trucked downstairs for some Super Nintendo time. What a flashback! My grandparents still have the same game that my brothers and I played when we would visit as kids, and now our own kids are hooked on it!


 

In the midafternoon, we headed out to the reunion site. First was snack and lawn game time, followed by a hay ride to the neighboring family farms to see the animals. I stayed back, thinking heat plus tractor-drawn-wagon didn't sound too appealing to this very preggo mama. But I wish I could have seen the kids with the animals! My mom's cousin told her she planned the hay ride just for the "city kids" to get to see some real farm animals, and I'm so glad she did! Max fell in love with the baby bunnies, my mom told me later, and I could tell from the pictures she took that he was on cloud nine.



Later in the day, after a delicious dinner of roasted pork, a great potluck variety, and a huge table chock full of desserts, an award was given out for best outfit. I failed to mention earlier that my Grandpa and every one of the members of his family wore matching custom t-shirts- and it won us the prize! I think my grandpa was pretty proud.

"Larry's Crew: Made in America, Originated in Belgium"
Audrey's got a soft spot for her Great Grandpa
After Mass and lunch the next day, we packed up the car and continued west to Rapid City for the rest of our trip. We packed so much into the few days in Marshall that it's hard to believe that was only a small fraction of the trip to come. I'll be writing more about that another day, there is so much to tell!

No comments:

Post a Comment