My Beamish Brood

My Beamish Brood

Saturday, August 3, 2013

What I Do


About a month ago, I had the experience of a lifetime recording an album of my brother's original music with our band Oak Ribbons. I don't talk about our music very much on this blog, in part because I don't want to sound like I'm self-promoting, but also that I sometimes feel a little guilty that I enjoy making music so much, when it doesn't involve my kids at all. It's not that I have a problem being away from my kids; on the contrary, I'll take a night off any time it's offered! The difference, I think, is that music is something very fulfilling for me, and I have trouble feeling so fulfilled in anything that doesn't involve my family. I'm a mom, isn't being a mom enough?


During this recording weekend I made an important realization. What I learned is probably something every other mother already knows, but I'll share it anyways: There is a difference between who I am and what I do. I am a wife, a mother, and a child of God. That is my identity. That is who I am. But I also play violin, sing, write, read. That is what I love to do. Music is not who I am, but it is what I do. And it's ok to love what I do.

We spent the weekend and recorded in this house
Audrey was a tagalong for the entire process
Each room had a unique sound, and the engineers put a lot of thought into the setup for every song
My cheeks were sore from smiling by the end of the weekend!
I totally look like I know what I'm doing...


1 comment:

  1. Never feel guilty about doing something you love. That just enriches all the other parts of your life! I love the pic of all of you on the porch with Audrey peeking through the banister:)

    ReplyDelete