My Beamish Brood

My Beamish Brood

Thursday, January 8, 2015

The Christmas Lodge

Taking a step back to before Christmas, I want to tell you about a new (hopefully) annual tradition that was begun on my mom's side of the family this year. My grandparents had the idea of renting out a lodge for an overnight, so we found ourselves at the Prior Lake Horse and Hunt Club's hunting lodge. It was a gorgeous, spacious log cabin with a fireplace, kitchen, dining area and living room, four bedrooms downstairs and a bunk-style bedroom upstairs. I was so glad to have the option to stay overnight; that way, we didn't have to factor in bedtime, we could stay up and party after the kids were all tucked in! Stellar!

When we arrived, we were greeted at the door by the two cutest elves I've ever seen:


They welcomed us in and set the kids up with stuff to do right away. Paul set to work on his mulled wine and I was handed a bloody mary, compliments of my brother. Good start to the night! Then more people arrived: my brother and his family, followed by aunts and uncles and cousins, and soon the place was packed! We feasted on chili and all the fixings, ate way too many Christmas cookies, and my uncle set up a Hot Wheels track for the kids upstairs that kept them entertained for quite awhile. Lucian had brought his chess board along (of course) and challenged anyone he could find.


There were presents for the great-grandkids... light sabers and masks for the boys! They were in heaven!



Audrey got a set of magnetic robots. She adored them! She has this thing with robots... I'm not sure where it started, but I'll take that over Barbies any day.


And Edith got a Raggedy Ann doll, compliments of my grandpa who says that every little girl needs to own a Raggedy Ann doll. Audrey got one on her first birthday, but promptly claimed Edith's as her own until her baby sister is old enough to fight her for it.



We sang Christmas carols... I tell you, it was like a Hallmark movie. Max performed "Santa Claus is Coming to Town", the Bruce Springsteen version, and my cousin Anna sang Eidelweiss with my dad. She's got a b-e-a-utiful voice! I joined her to sing Silent Night, and my grandma informed my mom that she's requesting it again next year. I'd be glad to, it was awesome singing with my cousin!




My uncle read the kids a story, then we played some party games. Pictionary was a hit with the kids, although they had trouble waiting their turn. When it was Audrey's turn, she just got up and drew scribbles until someone guessed a word that sounded good to her. "Yeah! It is a giraffe!"



 

The kids got to bed pretty late, but Lucian and Audrey fell asleep as soon as they were tucked in. Max, on the other hand, made several appearances. He didn't want to miss out on the action. During one game, someone had to sing the song from the Lego movie. When they began, we suddenly heard from up in the loft, "Everything is awesoooooome!" He had been eavesdropping and couldn't resist joining in. After awhile, my dad grabbed a spot with him on the landing overlooking the living room until he had seen enough to be satisfied.


I am looking forward to the chance to celebrate with everyone again next year! It was a super fun time, and I know the kids will be glad to go back!

No comments:

Post a Comment