My Beamish Brood

My Beamish Brood

Tuesday, January 6, 2015

Joy to the World


When we travel to visit Paul's family, we make it count. 600 miles both ways with four kids means we want to spend a good amount of time there, so Paul took off work from Christmas Eve through my birthday (January 2). It was awesome. 

All but the drive, of course. We ran into weather both ways, tacking on a couple of extra hours of travel time, but when we finally pulled into town in the wee hour of Christmas Eve morning, the tough drive was soon out of mind. We were greeted with smiles and hugs and mulled wine, just what we needed. The kids were tucked into bed and were all asleep before their heads hit the pillow. All, that is, except for Audrey.


Audrey got the privilege of sharing a bed with Auntie Megan, who told us the next morning that the little girl had some trouble falling asleep. Things were just too exciting! Megan was almost asleep when she felt something falling on her face... it turns out Audrey was picking pieces of a granola bar off of her blankie and dropping them on her auntie. I mean, where else would she put them?

On Christmas Eve we celebrated with Paul's dad's side of the family, then we took all the kids to "midnight" Mass at 10:00. I love that Mass, the candles and the darkness and the feeling of anticipation. It is also the Mass we attended Christmas Eve seven years ago... when I walked out after Communion and went right over to the hospital to have a baby! A baby who is SEVEN now!



Christmas day was a flurry of gift opening and excitement. Cooking tools and a checkers board for Lucian my kitchen helper, Legos for Max (he wanted nothing else), and a doll for Audrey. Paul's parents got me a sewing box, which I had asked for but forgotten about, so it was a wonderful surprise! I have wanted to start sewing more, but it was hard to motivate myself when all I had to work with was a tiny travel sewing kit. We'll see how far my intentions take me.

Christmas dinner was Paul Sr.'s incomparable prime rib. 'Nuff said. You should all be jealous.

In the evening we celebrated Max's birthday (more Legos, a cake with Lego candles, and some sweet science kits) and I began to try to come to terms with the fact that I have a seven year old. I'm still working on it.


The day after Christmas, Paul and I woke to find Lucian upstairs making breakfast with Grandma, and Max putting together his newest Lego set with Grandpa. If there's one Christmas present I forgot to say thank you for, it's the fact that Paul's parents got up with the kids every day while we were there. Wow. And yes, the transition back to home has been just a tad tough for me... morning and I have never been friends. So the gift of a little extra sleep was amazing!


Megan had to head out on Saturday to be with Kelley for her birthday in Massachusetts, so we said our goodbyes then. But we thankfully had a whole week to go with the rest of the family! There were cards to play, wine to drink, hills to sled, and much more fun to have. The boys were amazing at entertaining themselves much of the time so we could sit around the table in our pajamas for hours drinking coffee.


But when the kids did need some extra attention, Uncle Liam was there to play! He and Patrick took the kids sledding, he played hide and seek with them, and I don't know what else they did... but the kids loved it! And they love him! What a blessing to have him around.

Another great blessing of the trip was the chance to catch up with some of my old friends from Rapid City. We visited my friend Bridget for her daughter's second birthday, and the three families who gathered (fifteen children combined!) had a great time together. The kids got along great, I wish it could happen more often.

Then for my birthday gift, the six of us went out for dinner sans children to my favorite Black Hills restaurant, the Alpine Inn. This place offers two choices for dinner, 6 or 9 ounce filet mignon, but has a dessert menu that's two pages long. My kinda joint! It was great to chat and catch up with friends who I hadn't seen in over a year. Let's hope it's not that long until next time!

Of course, the week flew by, then it was suddenly my birthday and the day before we left. Maureen cooked my request- country fried steak- for dinner, while Paul made creme brulee from scratch. Everything was deeee-licious! I will not admit to having three-and-a-half servings of dessert...

The next morning began our return trip. I'm not ashamed to say the kids watched movies for the entire 9 hours. We rarely let that happen, but sometimes for Mommy's sanity it has to be that way. In spite of some crazy weather we made fairly good time, and although they were sad to leave, the kids were happy to see their own beds again. All but Max; he'd be a nomad if given the option, but only if he could take all his legos with him.

And now we're home. It's good to be home, but it's hard to be far from family. I hope we will make it back soon! Merry Christmas everyone!

 


No comments:

Post a Comment