My Beamish Brood

My Beamish Brood

Tuesday, January 20, 2015

The Invisible Child

I took this photo to prove that I have a photo of Edith
Oh Edie Clare, you poor gal. Everyone said it would be true, but I didn't realize how true until now. We have NO PICTURES of you. Now please understand, I love you just as much as I love the other kids, and I have been trying to right this wrong, but I just plain don't pick up my camera as much as I used to! And when I do, it's usually when we are out doing something fun and you're stuck in the baby carrier. I have pictures of the back of your head, yes, proof that you were there... does that count for anything?

When Max was a baby, we would literally set up cute baby shots around our apartment. We would pick the right blanket, the right pose, the right stuffed animal and snap away. And every moment was one that needed to be captured. "Oh, he pulled all the books off of the bookshelf? Cute!" (snap) "He's laying so nicely on his changing table!" (snap) "It's his three-and-a-half-month birthday!" (snap)

With each child it has gotten progressively worse, but I think it took a sharp dive with number four. Personally, I blame Audrey. She is a toddler among toddlers with a strooooong personality. In the time it would take to get up and get the camera, it's likely my adorable smiling baby would be smooshed or smothered in some way and reduced to tears. So I don't get up, and I don't get the camera. I do have some pictures on my phone, but far too often it's on the other side of the couch... and that's just way too far.

Edith, I promise you I will do my best to make a point to put you front-and-center in the camera lens whenever I have it in hand. But I'm sorry my dear, for every photo of your childhood, there will be dozens, maybe hundreds, more of your big siblings. Promise me you'll keep smiling anyways, ok?

1 comment:

  1. THIS picture is worth a million!!!!!! Just tell her that you had to take more of the other kids to have 1 that looks that good!!!!!LOL

    ReplyDelete